|Carbon Monoxide Incident|
|By Web Team|
|August 28, 2018|
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 3pm the department was activated for a reported Automatic Alarm at 16 Mortimer Street. Engine 781 arrived on scene and began checking the building when their Carbon Monoxide Meters started alerting. Captain Dave Slover notified Ex-Chief Darryl Schunk who was assisting with command they had Carbon Monoxide readings with the occupant not feeling well. Ex-Chief Schunk requested dispatch to activate the ambulance to evaluate the occupants.
Assistant Chief Kevin Raynor arrived on scene shortly after, assumed command and instructed additional crews to search the adjoining apartments for possible victims and get Co levels. The first floor had readings of 40ppm and less while the basement had readings as high as 240ppm. In addition to the oil burner, the oil fired water heater which was believed to be malfunctioning, was turned off. Crews began to clear the basement of toxic gasses and smoke using high powered electric fans. After Co meter readings returned to zero in the basement and all apartments, crews packed up their equipment and returned to service.
Westhampton Ambulance was on scene and transported a total of 5 patients to an area hospital for evaluation. The Southampton Town Fire Marshal's office was called in to investigate the malfunctioning equipment. Westhampton Beach Village Police were also on scene.
|Units:||781, 782, 785, 786, 787, 7830, 7833|