During the heat wave on July 2 as Cupsogue beachgoers were leaving the park for the day, the department was activated for a reported Electrical fire in front of 722 Dune Road. First on scene was 3rd Assistant Chief Kevin Raynor who immediately requested PSE&G to respond as the underground secondary wires that feed the surrounding houses were arcing and the box was on fire.
Engine 7-8-1 arrived on scene and the firefighters searched the surrounding houses and confirmed the power was out or not at full capacity. A Dry Chemical extinguisher was used to extinguish the fire but due to the energized line, it kept reigniting. At that time the decision was made to let it burn and control any potential fire spread. All westbound traffic was stopped and vehicles had to turn around. The east bound beach goers were able to make it past with a slight delay. While at this incident, a caller from the mainland saw the smoke column and called 911 to report a possible fire in the 760 block of Dune Road. Halsey Stevens, 1st Assistant Chief checked the area and confirmed that call was related to the electrical fire.
Due to the potential of having the electric services to the residences overload, and the need to check more than 20 residences, Ladder 786, Engines 1 and 2, Tanker 9, Fire Police 11 and Utility 7 were all on staged on scene. While awaiting PSE&G, the Eastport Fire Department was requested to fill-in our headquarters and they handled an Automatic Alarm on Jessup Lane. The power company arrived on scene just after 7pm and isolated the electrical hazard. The remaining fire was extinguished at the transformer and all units went back in service.