Working Structure Fire
By Web Team
September 30, 2017

At 7:20 in the morning on September 30, 2017 the department was activated for a reported structure fire at 72 South Rd. Dispatch was receiving numerous calls that there was smoke coming from the house. As Chief Engineer William “Billy” Dalton responded, Firecom advised that Southampton 911 was receiving “multiple calls” and upon his arrival he found a heavy smoke condition blanketing the street and confirmed a Working Structure fire.

First due Engine 781 secured their own hydrant and stretched a 3 inch leader line with a water thief to the front door. As a team connected an 1-3/4” bundle line to the water thief another team forced entry and began a search for the seat of the fire. They were met with heavy smoke and low heat on the first floor. The first floor was negative for fire. The search team went to the second floor where they found zero visibility and high heat. A line was brought up to the top of the stairs and soon thereafter heavy fire was found in a rear bedroom and hallway on the second floor. The line pushed in and extinguished the main body of fire on the second floor. Once the second floor was under control, the search team checked the attic and found a heavy fire condition. The primary line was advanced to the attic as was a second line to begin suppressing the fire.

The crew from tower 786 began to vent the steep pitched slate roof from a ground ladder in the rear while the tower ladder extended their bucket to assist, allowing for ventilation of the high heat and smoke, which allowed crews to move in further. The fire was then darkened down in the attic and relief crews manned the lines and were able to fully extinguish the fire.

The fire was considered under control in approximately 25 min from time of dispatch. Extensive overhaul was needed in the attic space due to the heavy fire and hoarding like conditions. All searches were negative for occupants and there were no reported injuries to any fire personnel. Westhampton War Memorial Ambulance was on scene for firefighter rehab. During the fire, a second alarm was activated for a reported "Automatic Alarm" on Dune Road. That alarm was handled by the Quogue Fire Dept, as they were standing by to cover additional alarms.

All units cleared the scene at 10:00am. The fire was deemed suspicious in origin and the investigation into cause and origin was turned over to the Westhampton Beach Village Police and the Southampton Town Fire Marshal's office.

Units: 781, 782, 785, 786, 789, 7811, 7815, 7830, 7831, 7832
Mutual Aid: Eastport FD Engine, Quogue FD Stand-By Engine, East Quogue FD Engine, Gabreski Air National Guard FD F.A.ST,
Hyperlinks: Southampton Town Press Article
No Caption
No Caption
No Caption
No Caption